Friday, June 29, 2012

I'm a big believer in temperament. Temperament refers to a set of innate dispositional traits that we are born with and that stay with us (to a certain extent) throughout our lives. I believe in temperament as someone who has studied developmental psych, but also as a parent.


Because what you learn as a parent is that kids come out a particular way and, for the most part, they pretty much stay that way.

Sandra Scarr wrote about the idea of "good enough" parenting. Meaning that our kids are born the way they're going to be, and our job is to provide a good enough environment for them to grow in to the adult versions of their little selves. Or, as Lady Gaga would say, we're all just "born this way, baby"

Case in point - Penelope

Now I know this is my second post in a row about Penelope. Sorry Q & Z - I'll get to you next, I promise!

When Penelope was born she was 34 weeks gestational age and 3lb14oz. The first thing the nurses when a preemie is born (after clean up) is to put sensors on them to monitor their breathing. I was out of it but Moin was there when the nurses put those sensors on Penelope and he said one turned to him and said, "Wow! You've got a feisty one here!"

She wouldn't stop moving and kicking and fighting the nurse off.

Then, two months later, we had our family over for Christmas. Penelope refused to go to sleep all day because she was so happy to have so many new people around her.

So Penelope's reaction to her first day of "school" today was predictable in every way.

The girls don't need daycare. They are lucky to have me and my parents and Moin watching them most of the time. But I signed them up for day care one day a week (for three hours) so they could play with other kids. We are calling this "school."

When we arrived today Penelope marched right in without even turning around to say goodbye. When I came back to pick her up she said "Hi" and the proceeded to do a dance of excitement for me. Then she found each of her teachers and individually said good-bye. THEN she went to each child and gave them each an individual hug! She loved being there around all those people so much.

And I wasn't surprised one bit. I could have predicted that from the moment she was born.

This is a girl who loves people, and action, and chaos, and - I'll admit - sometimes a little drama.


Speaking of drama, I'm ending this post with Penelope in her new flamenco dress Wa and Pa brought her from Spain. And do I even need to tell you that she LOVES it?

No comments:

Post a Comment