Friday, June 22, 2012

It's been a big couple weeks lessons-wise for the Syed children.

Two weeks ago the girls started taking music classes through St. Paul Parks and Rec. Music class for toddlers involves singing songs, dancing, and playing simple instruments. I used to go to these all the time as a grad student to recruit participants so it was fun to go as a parent this time.

The first class my friend Elena was visiting from Scotland so she got to come with us. As you can see the girls were a bit dubious the first go-around.

By the second class they were really warmed up. They've been dropping Quinn of at preschool since they were born so I could see them thinking, "circle time? teacher? listening? we've got this"

Here's Zahra with a shaker.

And guess who thought she was supposed to be in the MIDDLE of the circle?

After the second class we had a picnic and watched some big kids play tennis. The gleam in Penelope's eye while watching kids play tennis scared me a bit. I'm terrified of having to drive one of my children to sports tournaments all over the state of MN, as I see many of my neighbors with older children doing.

Quinn started up with gymnastics again. He took gym classes last winter/spring and really enjoyed them but also struggled compared to the other kids. It took him all semester to learn to do a somersault, while most other children learned that in the first class. So I was so proud of him when he asked to take lessons again, knowing how hard it was for him the first time. I'll always be proud of my kids for their accomplishments, but I think I'll be most proud when they try hard at something that they're not necessarily naturally good at doing. That shows real strength and character.

Here they all are waiting for class to begin.

Finally, Quinn had his first piano lesson this week!

He did a great job and sat and listened to the teacher the whole time. He learned where C and D are on a piano, and how to find them from any spot on a piano.

Piano lessons are mentally challenging. And you have to sit still and listen for a good chunk of time. All of these things are hard for a 4-year-old and Quinn did them quite impressively. Therefore, I shouldn't have been surprised that he was a total STINKER for the rest of the day. I told Moin that Quinn used up all his good behavior at piano and didn't have any left in him. But his teacher thinks he's a perfect angel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment